Time....sigh..... never enough in a day. How do we as moms, find the time for hobbies among all the other daily demands?
Well, first off, since my blog is about BALANCE, I thought I would write a little about how I TRY to balance everything I want to do, on top of all the things I NEED to do. I don't claim to have the answers, but all I know is that it's a lifelong quest. The good thing, is that I'm becoming more aware of when I'm NOT in balance. Sometimes I get a little too excited about something, for example, when I have an idea of what I want to blog about, or when I begin making one of my movies, it's hard for me to stop until it's finished. I tend to focus all my attention on that, and suddenly realize that I'm neglecting the IMPORTANT things. So, once I recognize it, then I can quickly make a change and make up for the things I failed to attend to, for example the house. All I have to do is go ONE day without picking up, and this is what my house turns into.
I know all you moms can relate :) I'm just really passionate about staying in balance and know how easy it is to fall off the wagon and get lost. That's when those unsettled feelings come and you realize somethings off. LACK of balance is always the case. Mind Body Soul, it's that simple right? Not really, there are many subcategories that come with each one of those. I don't even want to think about them otherwise I get overwhelmed. Inhale…..breathe…….relax
We're women, multitasking is in our blood. We're good at killing 2 birds with one stone, or probably more like 3 or 4 :). Like right now, I'm at the gym, on the treadmill, and writing this post at the same time. Gotta love all these cool gadgets we have these days that makes multitasking even easier. Pretty soon we'll be killing huge flocks of birds with just one tiny pebble.
I find that a lot of my ideas come to me at night as I'm lying in bed, or when I'm at the gym. Peace and quiet, without any interruptions. So it's nice to be able to email myself with the ideas that pop into my head.
This blog really accomplishes a lot for me, so that's how I can justify spending the time on it. I feel like I'm fulfilling an important part of life, which is, recording significant events, in other words, this takes the place of journaling :) I've decided that it's much more fun sharing my journal now, rather than after I die, like journals are usually intended. I love the fact that you can turn your blog into a printed book. No more scrap booking for me, I'm not passionate enough about it. I'd rather just print it all off, and spend the time on other things. So anyway, other reasons for my blog is because it's become a hobby for me, something I really enjoy, and we should ALL have something that we can do as part of our “ME TIME”, aside from all the mommy stuff. It's easy to lose yourself if you’re not working on or toward something. Also, this has been a fun way for me to connect with fellow mommies.
I have a few weekly and monthly goals I put together to help me balance everything.
- Blog 3 times a week. I figured that was a good balanced amount.
- Make nice dinners at least 4 times a week.
- Spend more time teaching my daughter to help pick up around the house. I tend to just do it myself, which isn't teaching her anything and only leaves more work for me to do.
- Read or listen to something spiritual once a day. Even if it's just one paragraph.
- Spend special quality time with my kids multiple times a day. My daughter and I play a game we call, CLEAN AND PLAY. The timer has become my new friend. I tell her when the timer goes off, then it's time for mommy to do mommy stuff, like dishes, laundry, ect. I set the timer for everything now, and I seem to get a lot done that way. Thirty minutes here, thirty minutes there keeps me going and focused on what needs to be done, also allowing time to rest and just play with my kids.
- Work out 4 times a week. I use to try to do 6 or 7, but realized that it's rough trying to fit everything into one week when I do that.
- Read one chapter of a book each day. I've found this to be very doable for me. I used to have a goal to read one book in a week, ha, that idea failed miserably. What was I thinking?
- Weekly date night. My favorite day of the week :) It's so fun, and greatly needed at the end of the week.
- I like to have a babysitter come once a week to help me get caught up on things, run errands or just have a little "ME TIME".
- Girls Night Out once a month. It's always good to get together with your gal pals regularly for some good old fashion GIRL TALK!